The Greener Diamond was founded by a mother that wanted to heal the conflict diamond industry. The idea was simple; offer eco-friendly, modern-day man made diamonds to be the sustainable funding source to repairing diamond mining communities. Diamond consumers purchasing eco-friendly products at MiaDonna have helped us create hope to a lost generation of children.
Our goals are to:
- Reduce the negative impact mining has on the environment and aboriginal communities.
- Educate jewelry consumers of the role they play by purchasing conflict natural resources.
- Fund projects in diamond mining communities around the world to help repair the damage created in the wake of the diamond trade.
We do not just write checks to foundations and hope they do a good job. We partner with other foundations and individuals, listen to the locals and address their specific needs. The Greener Diamond actively assists one community at a time with projects that prominently focus on children, youth and the environment.
Africa has the potential not only to feed itself, but also to become a major food supplier for the rest of the world. For far too long Africa’s agriculture sector was neglected. There was even a point in time were growing food in Angola was illegal because the ground was considered too valuable with diamonds. This has resulted in generations of people that do not know how to grow their own food; a skill once pasted down from the elders. It has been proven that providing the education and tools for agricultural in developing countries helps contribute to both overall growth and poverty alleviation. We needed to start here.
Giving Back Locally
We sponsor many charitable events in our local area. We see the importance of working globally but still supporting our local community where we can. We support:
- Oregon Food Bank
- Oregon, Union Gospel Mission
- Oregon, Susan G. Komen Foundation
- March of Dimes
- CCA – Children’s Cancer Association
As of August 2014, diamond consumers purchasing eco-friendly diamond alternatives and recycled gold at MiaDonna and The Greener Diamond have:
- Prevented over 3.8 million tons of earth from being extracted.
- Spared approximately 30,000 tons of toxic waste from being dumped into the natural environment.
- Planted over 4500 trees, through MiaDonna’s new “plant a tree with every shipment” program.
MiaDonna has have helped thousands of couples find their perfect ring without breaking the bank.
In today’s society many couples are choosing to put off getting engaged since the price of a decent ring is out of the question. MiaDonna supplies them with high quality, designer style jewelry at a fair and affordable price. We have saved consumers an estimated 3 to 4 million dollars (as of August 2014), which in some cases, is money heading back in to local communities.